Words of Wisdom

Gillian Burks, Staff Writer

As a small child you were read to. With age came knowledge, and before you knew it you were the one reading. From Dr. Seuss books to Shakespeare, literature has connected together people of all ages, allowing them to bond over the lessons that the pages hold. Stories give us morals that will continue on in our everyday lives.

Through the years of high school you will read countless books, plays, short stories, and poems, all of which are chosen to impart the wisdom of great writers to us so that we may live by those guiding concepts. Even in our adult years, far past the drama and toil of high school, our perception that has been molded by the great works of writers such as Harper Lee and Aldous
Huxley will continue to influence our daily thoughts and beliefs.

Books are not the only things that are required to read in classes. For example, in AP English Literature and Shakespearian plays Hamlet and Macbeth are studied and dissected. The stories fuel the students desire to contemplate more complex ideas about life and push themselves to put thought into ethical questions of life.

“I think what the students see that they like[referencing to Hamlet and Macbeth] is that they both address human nature,” Mrs. Schmidt, an English teacher says.”And there are things about human nature that are just the same as they were in Shakespeare’s day. And so by being able to see that in that work of literature like Macbeth raises the question,’Will good people do evil things?'” Students relate their own lives to the old tales of romance and drama written by well known authors and are able to use the lessons gathered through the required reading.

Mrs. Turner, an English teacher who was dressed in celebration of the start of her English class’s Shakespeare term says,”I’ve told my students that if I could only pick one book for them to read the entirety of their high-school career it would be ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird’. Which we read in English II, and my reasoning for that is I feel like ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird’ touches on so
much, there is so much packed into it. Lessons on how to be a good human being.” Although we, as students, groan at the idea of having to sacrifice our precious time to reading the classics, the morals that are imprinted by the words of wisdom further our development into knowledgeable adults.

Although classic novels are viewed as a bore, pleasant surprises tend to be found within the hard back covers given to English students. Each one like a bound collection of knowledge ready to be imparted on willing minds, ready to be carried with them through the endless trials and tribulations of their lives.