Back to Article
Back to Article

The Screen Actors Guild announces their award nominees

The Screen Actors Guild Awards are very prestigious and are something that many actors strive to add to their collection.

Photo by: GoldDerby

Photo by: GoldDerby

Photo by: GoldDerby

December 14, 2019

The Screen Actors Guild announced their nominees for the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. There are a considerable number of controversial picks for a number of categories. Some of the major film nominees are as follows.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale / Ken Miles – “Ford v Ferrari”

Leonardo DiCaprio / Rick Dalton — “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”

Adam Driver / Charlie Barber – “Marriage Story”

Taron Egerton / Elton John – “Rocketman”

Joaquin Phoenix / Arthur Fleck – “Joker”

These picks were fairly controversial because Robert De Niro was left out for his performance in “The Irishman.” Many feel that he should have taken Taron Egerton’s place in the running.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Cynthia Erivo / Harriet/Minty – “Harriet”

Scarlett Johanson / Nicole Barber – “Marriage Story”

Lupita Nyong’o / Adelaide Wilson/Red – “Us”

Charlie Theron / Megyn Kelly – “Bombshell”

Renée Zellweger / Judy Garland – “Judy”

These picks are largely uncontroversial. The general consensus is that all of these nominations were earned.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture 

“Bombshell”

“The Irishman”

“Jojo Rabbit”

“Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”

“Parasite”

Most of these picks were to be expected, but “Parasite” came in as a sleeper hit, with most completely blindsided by this choice.

Many also felt that “Little Women” deserved a nomination, as it did not receive a single nomination.

“Knives Out” also received zero nominations. With the overwhelming star power in the film, many were blown away by the missing nomination for “Outstanding Performance by a Cast.”

Though many feel that specific films did not get their fair share of nominations, this year has been largely uncontroversial in comparison to past years. It seems that the general population is satisfied with these picks.

It will be interesting to see which stars take home awards on January 19, 2020, at 7:00 CST.