Co2 your way out

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






In a recent report by the World Meteorological Organization, it was revealed that the concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere has reached a record high.
According to NBC News, 2018 saw the global average concentrations of carbon dioxide reach 407.8 parts per million. This means that for every 1 million molecules of gas in our atmosphere, nearly 408 were carbon monoxide.
This is a direct result of burning the planet’s fossil fuels, and the global concentrations have only gone up since the 405.5 parts per million in 2017. This research supports the claim that the planet is continuing to warm at a dangerous rate.
WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas commented on the research, “There is no sign of a slowdown, let alone a decline in greenhouse gases concentration in the atmosphere despite all the commitments under the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.”
Gases such as carbon dioxide traps heat from the sun and can linger in the atmosphere for centuries. Substantial levels of greenhouse gas create higher global temperatures and various symptoms of climate change, including rising seas and the melting of the polar ice caps.
This level of carbon dioxide directly correlates with the industrial activities of humans. According to the WMO, the 2018 global average shows a 147 percent increase over the pre-industrial level in 1750.
The organization’s research showed that the increase in carbon dioxide from 2017 to 2018 was higher than the average growth rate over the past decade, which was a little more than two parts per million per year.
“It is worth recalling that the last time the Earth experienced a comparable concentration of CO2 was 3-5 million years ago,” Taalas continued. “Back then, the temperature was 2-3 [degrees Celsius] warmer, sea level was 10-20 meters higher than now.”
The WMO research also found that concentrations of two other gases, methane and nitrous oxide, have also rose over the past decade.
It’s estimated that around 60 percent of methane emissions stem from human activities such as cattle breeding and landfills. It’s said that the other 40 percent comes from natural sources.
Nitrous oxide is emitted from both agricultural and industrial activities, and it’s the third-most potent greenhouse gas. It deteriorates the ozone layer that protects the planet from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.
This WMO report came out before the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change conference. It’s being held from December 2-13 in Madrid, and government officials will come together to reevaluate efforts to combat climate change under the Paris Agreement.