Smoke ain’t no joke

Back to Article
Back to Article

Smoke ain’t no joke

Blakelee Sutton, Section Editor

Over the past few years, the use of e-cigarettes and JUULs has grown exponentially among America’s collective student body. According to the New York Times, over 3.6 million middle and high school students used e-cigarettes last year. Whether it’s in the school bathroom or in public with their friends, teenagers use of e-cigarettes continues to rise.
E-cigarettes run on batteries and nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals. The device turns these ingredients into a vapor that is inhaled. Many of the chemicals that cause cancer are in this vapor. That includes formaldehyde, heavy metals and particles that can get stuck in the deepest parts of your lungs.
The levels of these toxins are usually lower in e-cigarettes than they are in regular cigarettes, but recent WebMD studies have shown that high-voltage e-cigarettes have more formaldehyde and other harmful toxins than regular cigarettes.
A specific chemical in some e-cigarettes is a buttery-flavored one known as diacetyl. This chemical has links to an incredibly harmful lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterates, or popcorn lung.
The chemical can also cause an extremely dry and long lasting cough. This can also lead to shortness of breath, wheezing, fevers and chronic headaches. As of right now, popcorn lung has no remedy or cure and is shown to be directly caused by a vaping habit.
Since vaping is a relatively recent phenomenon, the long term effects are hard to determine. But with the already identified effects, there’s simply no telling how negatively it could affect a person who’s been addicted for decades.
With the concerns and harm that this addiction brings, it’s so important to stop vaping early on before the long-term effects can take hold. Vaping does not make anyone a cooler person and it isn’t a solution to any of your problems. All it’s going to do is cause more long-term health effects on those that do it. This can be prevented right now. All you have to do is quit.