ACT superscoring: why it’s ideal

Michelle Grant, Section Editor

Have you ever sat down for the ACT, done exceedingly well in the reading and English sections, but horrible in the Math and Science sections?
Have you ever taken the ACT again after this and gotten lower scores in the Reading and English sections but higher scores in the Math and Science sections?
It isn’t every time that you feel your best when you sit down and take the ACT for 4 hours.
Sometimes you can get a particularly challenging math or science section, or an unusually wordy reading section, and it can lower your score. Maybe you didn’t get a full 8 hours of sleep the night before. There are many different variables that can affect how well you do in one ACT test sitting.
That is why ACT superscoring is ideal, and why more and more colleges are starting to adopt it.
Superscoring takes your best scores from each section from every ACT test you have ever taken and averages it out, creating a superscore. That means that even if you get a low score on the math section during an ACT in September, but score higher in the same section in December, superscoring will only take your score from the December test.
Superscoring the ACT is basically giving students the benefit of the doubt. Colleges that take superscoring understand that every student is human and not at their A-game in every section during every ACT.
All colleges should accept ACT superscoring. It allows for you to achieve the highest possible score from all the ACTs you have ever taken. It realizes your potential to achieve your highest score, even if it isn’t achieved during one singular test. It allows room for human error and unfortunate circumstances that can affect how well you do on one ACT test.
So far, only around 100 colleges accept ACT superscoring. A quick Google search can give you the complete list.
To sum it up, a limited amount of schools accept ACT superscores right now. Hopefully, in the coming years, more and more colleges will realize the benefits from superscoring and change their admission policies to better accommodate applicants.