Lady Jays Basketball: Second in State

Rylie Bohanan, Section Editor

The 2019 season for the Lady Jays was one for the books. The Lady Jays went 29-2 for the whole season, only losing to the Class 4 and Class 5 state champions. The Lady Jays not only broke the school record for most wins in a season, but they also did what hasn’t been done in years: they made it to the Class 5 State Championships.

The Lady Jays fought hard all season to get to the Championship. Working hard on the weekdays and even weekends. They set goals at the beginning of the season and by the time season was over they had met them.

“One of our main goals was to win all three of our tournament and we did. We also beat Rockbridge and Hickman twice this season which was exciting. We constantly put in work on weekdays and weekends to improve our game,” Senior Greta Haarmann states.

The Lady Jays were very dedicated to the game and to each other. The greatest factor of their success was their team chemistry.

“We’re like a family on and off the court,” Haarmann states. They also used their height to their advantage. With multiple players standing at six-foot or over, teams has a hard time defending the Lady Jays.

These factors and their skill helped them win game after game, leading them to the Class 5 Championship Game. Every late night and weekend they spent improving their game has been to get to this point.

“It will probably be something that I’ll remember for the rest of my life. You get treated with luxuries and other bonuses that some athletes will never get to experience. Not only for the basketball side of things, but the support the school, students and community gave us. The send off for the Final Four, the police and fire truck escort out of town, and then the hundreds of kids and staff members that showed up to support us was indescribable. In the championship game, the adrenaline rush was insane in that environment. It almost felt like a movie. We knew what was on the line and how hard we worked to get there,” Haarmann recalls the experience very brightly.

The Lady Jays had a rocky start during the championship game, getting into foul trouble early and struggling to make shots that they usually made with ease. And by the time they started getting their rhythm, it was too late. “It was a tough way to end the season, but that game doesn’t define what an incredible season we had,” Haarmann states.

Although the season didn’t end the way the team and whole Jefferson City community wanted, or even expected it to end, this season is going to be remembered by everyone.