Beyond the states

Back to Article
Back to Article

Beyond the states

Bryan Ibañez, Staff Reporter

Our school has students from different parts of the world that have come to further their education in the U.S., but have you ever thought of what’s different between our school and the ones that they originally came from? Being a student in the U.S. for your entire life, some people don’t realize the many differences that other students from around the world experience.
In the U.S., most of our schools do not require students to wear uniforms.

Minaho Yamada, a foreign exchange student at JCHS, said that students in Japan were expected to wear uniforms at their schools. She also added that teachers at JC are a lot more strict than where she attends school in Japan.

Rawipa Wongkokua agreed that her original school in Thailand, teachers are a lot more strict and students were expected to wear uniforms, though she added that at our school, we have a lot more homework.

Alessia Inguanta, a foreign exchange student originally from Italy, said that unlike Wipa’s and Mia’s school, she did not have to wear uniforms for her school. She agreed that the teachers at JC were strict and she had to study more in our school than she did in Italy. She added that JC is a lot bigger in student size and so is the school in general. She mentioned how our sports department are a lot larger in the U.S., including that some sports were also played inside the building instead of outside.

Tristan Swartvagher, a foreign exchange student from France, said that our school is a lot easier than where he originally went to school in France. Although all of their schools were different, they were surprised with very similar things. They were surprised to know that the scheduling of classes was unique for each student, where no two students have the exact same or similar classes.
Something that was also shocking to them was how students in the U.S. are a lot more social; they all agreed that where they went school, they went for the purpose of being educated. Education was prioritized instead of being popular or socializing with others. They also thought that school spirit was a bit strange in the sense that their schools did not do anything special for dances, like how schools in the U.S. do special events for homecoming and prom.