Head to head: Cons to the seven block schedule

Taylor Baker

The seven block schedule change is one that has been a hot topic among students recently. Many thought-provoking conversations are taking place between students and teachers who will be negatively impacted by this change.

One of the first things people mention is that every student will lose one credit per year. The school has adjusted the number of credits needed to graduate, but this still means less opportunities for students to explore their interests by taking classes they normally would not take.

Another huge argument is the fact that AP courses will lose 31 hours (rounding down) over the course of the school year if classes go from 81 minutes to 45 minutes approximately. This causes teachers to rewrite the curriculum and decide what to cut from their already jam-packed course.

The shorter class times will also affect the discussions had in those classes. It is difficult to have a deep philosophical or intellectual conversation and also have enough time for teachers to teach the material in 45 to 50 minutes. This will most likely force the teachers to give more homework over the year.

There are some classes that are already a whole year long. Those classes will lose 104 hours over the school year. Classes like band, choir, orchestra, newspaper and yearbook will all lose imperative hours of preparation time.

This will be a devastating blow to the production of the newspaper and yearbook, which are both important to the student body, not the mention the kids who put hours of their personal time into creating them. Students who enjoy those classes, or even those who wish to pursue it as a career are getting cheated out of so many hours that would be beneficial to their work.   

The number of advanced courses will most likely be diminished. This change only benefits EOC courses because they will have more instructional time, which the district hopes will improve EOC testing scores, and subsequently improve the JCPS rank in DESE. Since students are no longer required to take the ACT, it is mostly likely that those scores will improve as well.

It does not seem to matter what students want from their education. This schedule change does not benefit students who are trying to get the most from their high school education. While some students may be helped with this change, there is no data that suggests that the change will even help s

truggling students, it certainly seems to only anger higher achieving students and their teachers.