Should students work?

Ash Stickann , Section Editor

The teenage lifestyle is filled with stress. From home, to school, to the impending realization that their adult life is starting within a few years, all these things cause teens stress. When a student turns 15 or 16, something they are expected to do is apply and interview for a paying job. This is also supposed to not affect their grades and ability to participate in extracurricular activities. The high school experience is a time to prepare for college, pull up your GPA and understand how to regulate a stable lifestyle with the skills you’re taught. Piling a low paying job on top of this only adds chaos. Granted, many teenagers can only pick up 15 hours a week, but a lot of the time that limits study time,  homework time, and time to socialize with family and friends. These things are most important to avoid anxiety, high stress, and depression.

Though many would argue that these low standard working conditions prepare students for “the real world” as it’s put, I would argue otherwise. These conditions are a recipe for distress and a lackluster set of expectations for life. Many students who work a minimum wage job with lots of long hours have the possibility of falling behind in homework which could snowball into a deteriorating level of motivation in school and classes as a whole. Earning such a low wage for the amount of work these students already have on their plate can cause large amounts of unhealthy anxiety with thoughts of college and then moving out of their parents’ homes. All of these sudden changes and forced responsibilities are unhealthy to the growing mind, especially when a lot of the stress gained is unavoidable.