How do we blur the Fine Lines between us?

Taylor Baker, Editor in Chief

On January 19, students from Jefferson City and nearby schools gathered at Miller Performing Arts Center for the first annual poetry workshop. Students were presented with a writing prompt and a few hours to write a group piece.

In the context of building inclusive communities, the prompt was, “How do we blur the fine lines between us?”

“It was cool to be able to share how I felt with the world, and how we should try to blur these lines that we have in society,” stated Madeline Showers, a junior from Jefferson City.

Ms. Jobe and Mr. Snider were the teacher sponsors and facilitators of the event.

We have a group of very open, positive, and talented poets who we know support the arts as well, so this [event] seemed very doable…  Alexander Edge, Simonsen teacher and Poetry Club coach, facilitated communication with Louder Than A Bomb leaders and workshop coaches who were very gracious in being the MC force behind the event,” stated Snider.

The students were split into three groups. Each group was lead by a poet from Louder Than A Bomb. They helped the students formulate ideas and stimulate creativity.

“I write my poetry to be read, more than to be slammed, but I enjoy [performing] because it makes me develop my skills as a performer,” stated Jefferson City senior, Sabien Kent.

Students who are interested in writing poetry are encouraged to stop by poetry club on Wednesdays after school in Ms. Jobe’s room J11.

Necklaces made by Ms. Jobe for the performers