Why you should run

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why you should run

Michelle Grant, Staff Reporter

The thought of running a mile or two seems like a daunting challenge to most people. I used to think that running a mile would be impossible because I didn’t enjoy running and it was pretty painful.

I started running at first because I wanted to get in better shape.

Being a really anxious person, I’ve experienced pretty bad anxiety where it can even be hard to breathe sometimes. I noticed that every time I went for a run, although it was uncomfortable at first, running forced me to take deep, regular breaths. After a run, I would feel a lot better and calmer. Not only that, but I felt accomplished and my mood was boosted significantly.

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, exercise, especially aerobic exercise like long distance running, can boost your mood and lower levels of anxiety as well as depression. Running is healthy not just for your body, but for your mind as well.

Running can be really difficult the first week or so, but once you get into it, you won’t want to stop. Running is a great way to set goals for yourself to prove that you can accomplish anything if you stick with it. Before you know it, running five miles a day is no big deal and part of your routine.

Running pushes you mentally as well as physically. I wanted to keep that up, so I joined the cross country team this year. Cross country is a great way to make sure you run every day, while also getting to compete. I have been running ever since, and it has helped my anxiety and mental health immensely.