Should parents be involved in student academic life? Heck no!

Ash Stickann, Section editor

The importance of parental involvement in schools can differ from student to student. While to some it might help them get through their work, to others, their parents’ involvement can bring an unneeded source of stress and anxiety. Many students believe that by having constant parental involvement, students tend to have less of a grounding when it comes to doing things on their own. Kids later struggle to be successful in life when it comes to finding schooling or jobs. Not being able to function independently can often be a problem with generations over time, due to “coddling” of children into adulthood. Though this can often be a comfort through high school, it can cause problems in the future.
Another problem of parental involvement is the added anxiety to the average school day, from the fear of dropping grades, to the stress of failing the expectations of your parents. Though it is good to talk with your parents about your grades and schooling; the constant checking and reporting behind the back creates a paranoid student.
Often the socioeconomic level of the family can affect the way that parents will input into education whether that be wanting to control and “better” the future of the child in the way the parent wishes they had gone through life, to possibly making the child believe there’s no reason to try. This can become an issue especially with the changes in teaching, curriculum, and changes in the economy.
Many popular and respected career pathways from when parents were in high school may not be the way that student wants to go, so being pressured to take certain classes, join certain clubs, get certain grades that would pursue that dream may cause unhealthy consequences. These can all push down the confidence of the student over time to make their own choices.