Player Perspective: Cheer

Betsy Morello, Freelancer

Joining the cheer team was one of the best decisions I have made in my high school career. I have done competitive gymnastics since I was a little girl, and I wanted to continue to compete in high school.
I also wanted to do a school sport, so in the spring before my sophomore year I decided to try out for the cheer team. I knew I would love being able to tumble and dance like I get to do in gymnastics, but I didn’t realize I would love being a part of a team as much as I do.
Cheerleading is unique because of how important teamwork and communication are in making things run smoothly. It is nearly impossible to accomplish anything in a practice if we don’t communicate with each other. This allows us to make strong friendships with everyone on the team, and I love being a part of such a close-knit group of people.
Our team quote this year is, “Unity is strength. When there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.” This has been our focus throughout football season and will continue to be our goal for basketball season.
We recently held a fall tryout for basketball, so we are currently training our awesome new team members and we are very excited to be on the sidelines after December.
It has been a great year so far, and I am looking forward to the months ahead!