Healthy winter skin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Healthy winter skin

Demeshia Slaughter, Staff Reporter

Maintaining your summer glowing skin can get a little complicated during the winter time. Now that it is cold outside, the skin can begin to feel dry and or start flaking and cracking. When the winter months come around it is common for the skin to feel tight, dry and flaky because the humidity level drops and the air is colder, causing the water in your skin evaporate quickly. Following a simple skin care routine that I have prepared and followed daily, you can get rid of your winter skin problems.
The key requirements of maintaining your glow starts with your morning shower or bath, where time and temperature matters. Make sure the water is not too hot only for about 10-15 minutes according to bcm.edu. It is better to shower with lukewarm water. While cleaning your face, cut down on exfoliating but do use regularly. Use your face cleanser twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.
Once you’re clean, apply a moisturizer because damp and freshly washed skin absorbs moisture better. Moisturizing with an oil base creates a protective layer on the skin, retaining its moisture more than creams and lotions. Some non-clogging oils are mineral oil, rose, argan, almond and tea tree oil. Or something like home remedies including aloe vera, avocado oil and bananas. To get the best results out of moisturizing it to do it overnight.
At night lower your thermostat to avoid dryness. It is also a good to sleep with a humidifier on. The humidifier will combat dry air, helping with chapped skin and lips and dry or itchy skin.

Naural Remedies to Moisturize Skin
1. Whip up an Olive Oil Cleanser to Soothe Dry Skin
A great natural oil to use is olive oil, which works as a natural cleanser and moisturizer, says Brandy Crompton, a licensed aesthetician and manager of LeBliss Salon and Spa in Louisville, Kentucky. “Just rub the oil into your skin and drape a warm, damp cloth over your face until it cools,” Crompton says, “then wipe away the excess oil.” Olive oil is a good choice as a cleanser because it won’t strip your skin’s natural oils, but it will clean your skin, she adds.
2. DIY a Rich, Creamy Avocado Mask
Creating a homemade mask of avocado is another natural way to soothe dry skin. Crompton suggests pureeing half an avocado and mixing it with a teaspoon of olive oil; you can also add a tablespoon (tbsp) of honey for very dry skin. Apply the mask to your face, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then wash it off. Your skin should feel moisturized, but you can double up on the hydrating effects by applying your regular moisturizer as well.

(Directions from Everyday Health)