Save the Wave

Rhakala Blackmon, Reporter

Save the Wave is a small movement that rippled through JCHS. Some people are unaware what Save the Wave is or the reasonings behind it. A small group of sophomores began the movement. It started with the ultimate goal of having equal enforcement of rules relating to head gear, like durags, bonnets, hats and beanies.

“The save the wave is not a new trend. It was a trend when I was high school (95-99). The purpose of the do-rag is to help the hair lay down and help the waves form with the wave grease. You are suppose to do that the night before, so that when you come to school your waves are just fresh to death,” Counselor Teshura Rogers says.

Some JC students believe that the administration has discriminated against a certain race of people since durags and bonnets are mostly found in African and African American culture.

“Save the Wave is not just about getting to wear durags. It’s about the enforcement, application, and equality when administrations sets and enforces rules, policies and procedures,” sophomore Kaia Pritchett says.

Francisca Lopez, a Spanish teacher, has a different perspective of Save the Wave since she is from Spain.

I feel society works better when we all go by certain norms. Some norms are written somewhere and some of them are not. I feel it is important to show your head and eyes when you are inside a building; it is a sign of respect for others. Everyone should show respect for others, but not because someone asks you to do so but because each person is self-disciplined, and they use their own free agency to show cordial and respectful behavior towards each other,” Lopez says.

Some students view the ban of durags and bonnets in school as a personal attack. “I just think that the ban of a durag or bonnet is flat out discrimination, while there are individuals walking around wearing confederate attire which is deeply offensive to certain cultures and people,” Najavon Parish says.

A student Kyron Davis said he’s brought up multiple examples of inconsistency to teachers and principals. “They said they handled [the inconsistency], but it happened again recently. The process of waves doesn’t happen overnight, it requires consistency,” Kyron Davis finishes.

Mrs. Pleus, a secretary, brought up the point that “ As a female, I understand that some hair types need to have some taming. There’s some students who wear bandanas as a headband. It’s hard to regulate who gets to wear what…. If I [as a student] came into school with a bandana on, they would say take it off because it’s against school rules,” Mrs. Pleus says.

Mrs. Rogers in the counseling office had a few things to say about Save the Wave.

“In my opinion kids are not trying to save the wave, they don’t even want to show the WAVE. Many of those students use the scarves and the do-rags as an alternative to doing basic self care, hair care. You should want to take care of yourself and your appearance and the way you present yourself to world, you only get one time to make a first impression,” Mrs. Rogers says.

The Save the Wave movement has died in popularity, but the effects of it still are around.  “The issue is going to be revisited at the end of the month and a solution will be found,” according to the Save the Wave organizers. Until then administration has been cracking down on students wearing headgear.

Mrs. Rogers a counselor says “If you need help with hair product for getting a haircut you can come to the counseling office and we will help you,” Mrs. Rogers states.”