It’s Easy Being Green!

Rani Patel, Freelancer

Green team has started selling water bottles at lunch–not as a fundraiser, but rather a campaign to promote awareness about the amount of plastic waste humans produce. Green team will be taking pre-orders through November 2nd and the bottles will arrive during the second week of November.

“By 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s ocean,” explains Sarah Kaplan from The Washington Post. It’s statistics like this that led to the creation of the Green Team at JCHS in the late 1990’s, it is a club that promotes environmental sustainability and enhancement through education, awareness and action.

Left to right: Rani Patel, Sudhi Kumar, Mrs. Fraga, Alvaro Arguella, Ainsley Corwin, Joanna Chen

You may have noticed club members visit your FAST class to empty out the recycling bins. Green Team teaches students what it means to reduce, reuse, recycle and most importantly, rethink.

The Green Team has also tried to get rid of styrofoam during school lunch. The Science Learning Hub says it takes over 500 years for styrofoam to biodegrade and end up in landfills. Furthermore, the chemicals that make up styrofoam are harmful to student health.

This past summer, six members of Green Team, along with Rob Didriksen from Missouri State Recycling Program and his intern, Rebecca Roth, talked to Superintendent, Larry Linthacum, about the initiative to say no to styrofoam inside JCHS and CCHS cafeterias. The effects of this discussion have not yet been seen.

Over 50 students at JC have already bought these affordable bottles. At $5 they are not only saving the planet but saving money as well. Plastic water bottles cost a couple dollars each, which adds up fast. The purchase of each water bottle helps reduce the amount of plastic waste, which in turn, helps to preserve our precious planet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/20/by-2050-there-will-be-more-plastic-than-fish-in-the-worlds-oceans-study-says/?noredirect=on

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1543-measuring-biodegradability