We Welcome New Citizens

Naturalization Ceremonies are one of the most meaningful and moving events held by the Federal Court. The 2018 Central Division Naturalization ceremony has afforded the Western District of Missouri, U.S. District Court, with an opportunity to reach out to the Jefferson City community. This year, the Court, in collaboration with the Jefferson City High School, has held its annual ceremony in the Miller Performing Arts Center on April 25, 2018 at 1:00 pm.
The event provided an opportunity for students from the English as a Second Language class to have a hands-on experience with the citizenship process. The students, taught by Melanie Fraga, not only attended the ceremony, but also participated by interviewing the new citizens and their families, and by serving as Ambassadors to welcome the guests, assist with seating and serve refreshments.
One hundred and two individuals from 46 different countries finalized the requirements for American citizenship as they administered the Oath of Allegiance. District Judge M. Douglas Harpool presided over the patriotic ceremony which included a presentation of the flag by students from the Fall 2017 Military Leadership Class of Jefferson City High School.
These students also led the new citizens in the pledge of allegiance, which was followed by the “National Anthem” sung by the Jefferson City High School Chorale. A special rendition of “God Bless America” was also performed by the chorale.
Tania Lock, Deputy Clerk for the U.S. District Court administered the oath. The Eldon Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution assisted with the program and provided small American flags to each new citizen. A reception for the new citizens and their guests was sponsored by the Jefferson City High School and the Nichols Career Center catered the reception following the ceremony. The new citizens were given an opportunity to register to vote by the Cole County Clerk’s Office staff and passport information was offered by a U.S. Post Office Clerk.
The event was open to the public, for all those wishing to attend, the patriotic ceremony serverd reaffirm the deeper meaning of citizenship of the United States of America.

Photo by: McCayla Hartman
A previous naturalized Citizen speaking to the new citizens

A newly found citizen standing to be sworn in.

A Canadian man standing for the pledge of allegiance.