A day for sliced bread

File name: D060245
Description: Loaf of white sliced brad
Photographer: Jennie Hills
Science Museum
Date: 12/05/06
Colour Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)
Gamma Setting: 2.2

File name: D060245 Description: Loaf of white sliced brad Photographer: Jennie Hills Science Museum Date: 12/05/06 Colour Profile: Adobe RGB (1998) Gamma Setting: 2.2

Photo by: SSPL via Getty Images

Photo by: SSPL via Getty Images

Matt LeCure, Web and News Editor

For several decades, the human race has built up quite the fondness for bread. Peanut butter sandwiches, BLT, burgers, buttered toast and a large amount of other satisfying dishes would definitely be incomplete without bread, so it has become a popular resident of fridges and pantries everywhere. Sliced bread is a dish that has received quite a bit of attention recently due to a proposed bill suggesting that the food item earns its own day. Similar to how August 10 is the day to recognize s’mores, July 7 would be a day to honor sliced bread.

One lawmaker in Missouri suggested in a meeting that July 7 will be a special day to honor sliced bread, something actually first placed on store shelves here in Missouri. Chillicothe, a city in the northern part of Missouri, prides itself on being the city where sliced bread was first sold in 1928. Seeing as how the release of sliced bread was widely received by many consumers, the northern Missourian city has gone down in history as the first of many cities to have sliced bread on their store shelves.

Supporters of this bill say that a day honoring sliced bread will cause an increase in tourism to Chillicothe. Since the city is the birthplace of sliced bread, creating a day to honor the treat would create an unavoidable desire for knowledge. It would entice people all across the nation to learn more about the history of sliced bread, and visiting the city where the dish originated would be an interesting and entertaining action to take in order to learn some fun and eye-opening facts about sliced bread as well as the complex history of the Show-Me state.

Many citizens across the United States are confused as to why someone would assign a day of the year to honor something as simple as sliced bread. Other than the treat’s mid-American origin, some people believe that having a day to recognize the common food item seems strange and slightly humorous. This is possibly because sliced bread is such a regular aspect of life, therefore it is taken for granted by most consumers. The fact that Americans use sliced bread for so many different things is a reasonable explanation as to why so many people are confused by the proposition for a sliced bread day. Consumers purchase the item so much that it seems to be taken for granted.

The state of Missouri has a lot of history. It is the state where Winston Churchill gave his “Iron Curtain” speech, it is the state where people like Mark Twain and Harry S. Truman lived, and it is the state that put sliced bread on store shelves. Now, July 7 can be a special day for sliced bread to take center stage, where people everywhere can take the time to appreciate the history of this tasty treat.