Basketball gears up for state

Emalee Murdock, Staff Reporter

The boys varsity basketball team started the season strong, winning 6 games in a row before facing a loss. They came back from some losses with a win against Union 58-28 another against the Kewpies 66-53.
Sophomore small forward/shooting guard Kaidyn Johnson has been playing basketball since 6th grade.
“This year I set some goals for myself to average total points in the double digits, to step up the team’s intensity in games, have fun this year and to improve as a player. I have achieved all of these goals and I’m very proud of my team and I,” Johnson says.
The season has had ups and downs for the boys team. They had some pretty close games, including a loss to Rolla 57-51, a loss to Tolton 64-62 and Craigmont 59-54.
“The season has been a little rough at times, there were some games we shouldn’t have lost, but as a team we learned from that. It’s been a good season… hopefully we win these final games,” Johnson says.
Girls varsity basketball has had a good season. At the beginning of the season, they won two and lost two game repeatedly until they started an amazing winning streak. The Girls Varsity team has won games against Union, Lebanon, Helias, Webster Groves, Camdenton, and Saxony Lutheran. They beat Lebanon 74-42 and Helias 63-43.
Junior Greta Haarmann is very proud of her teammates and their hard work. “Collectively, I think we have learned how to make adjustments and are able to learn from our mistakes, as a team we have are striving to get better at practice and in games,” Haarmann says.
Haarmann also sees the importance of working together as a team and she often thinks of one of Coach Conway’s catch phrases: “defense creates your offense.”