Wrestling gears up for state

Emalee Murdock, Staff Reporter

Varsity Wrestling has had a season with plenty of wins. Their record was 13-6 going into districts.
Missouri has been hit hard with the flu this year. Fox St. Louis reports over 40,000 cases of flu in the state. Some of the wrestlers unfortunately also suffered from the flu.
“We have had a really up and down season because we have had a lot of injuries and a lot of sickness because of the flu, but our kids have done a great job of handling the adversity and handling the tough times that we have had.” said the head wrestling coach, Phil Cagle. Cagle went on to explain that some of the best wrestlers have gotten sick or suffered injuries.
Nevertheless, the Varsity and JV teams have pulled out some amazing wins.When up against Smith-Cotton, Varsity won 63-12 and JV won 58-15. The JV team took first place in the tournament against Hickman. Varsity got second place in the Seckman tournament on February 2.
Senior varsity wrestler Peter Kuster has set high goals for his season. “My season hasn’t gone as expected but that’s ok because it continues to motivate me to get better everyday knowing that my goal is just within reach,” Kuster says.
Wrestling has been doing well and state is coming up soon. “I have set many goals this year, but my biggest one was to get stronger and to win state. I haven’t reached this goal yet because it’s not the end of the season,” Kuster says.
Sophomore Brandon Backues, despite having a bout of the flu, also looks forward to placing at State. “I did good in the regular season, and I feel confident that I can place in state.”