A new kind of gaming comes to JCHS

Tyanna Robinson, Staff Reporter

A new club, called E-Sports, has been introduced to JCHS. E-Sports is dedicated to providing a fun and safe environment to learn and participate in computer gaming, along with learning teamwork and interpersonal skills. The club has formed a team that will compete against other high schools in tournaments and provide students with scholarship opportunities through local colleges. The E-Sports adviser is Ms. Leah Johnson, a teacher at JCHS who teaches Accounting and Intro to Business. “E-sports is a video gaming club. We compete against other schools, and it’s a nine week season. We’re playing against three schools at the end of February and play our finial tournament in May” says Johnson, “We currently have 45 members and meet Mondays and Wednesdays after school to practice.” Atul Krishnadas, sophomore member of E-Sports,enjoys the competitive nature of E-Sports. “E-sports means competition, it’s basically a competitive gaming club. Last meeting we had a scrimmage, five people on one team and five on the other, and we competed against each other. Right now we’re trying to get a varsity and junior varsity team set up. My favorite thing about E-sports is the cool opportunity to do something you always thought about doing, and that cool thing is competitive gaming.” If students want to join, please contact the adviser of the club [email protected] or just show up after school on Mondays or Wednesday in room 108.