Is the court system like a popularity contest?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The winter sports queen, Mak Baldwin, and the king, Garett Parker were chosen by the student body.

Photo by: Gillian

Photo by: Gillian

Photo by: Gillian

Matt LeCure, Web & News Editor

When you look at the people chosen as Homecoming or Winter Sports court members, there is an obvious aura of popularity surrounding them. Each of these individuals were voted on by the student body, and played a major role in the celebration. Out of all possible seniors, these men and women were selected, leaving the other students in the dust.

I knew ever since I was a fetus that I would never be on court. I may be well-known in this school due to my rather interesting face and my position on the Red & Black, but I don’t talk too much. However, I have a good understanding on what makes someone popular. I feel that four aspects determine how well-received someone is. Their physical appearance, their intelligence, their friendliness, and their participation. Let’s look at these to give you a better understanding.

Nowadays, physical appearance is a huge deal. With social media playing such a huge role in our society, we have developed a mindset of what is or is not attractive. Because of this, one is more likely to gain a following if they look attractive. Different people have different preferences of what they find attractive, but it is usually similar. Men should be tall and muscular, and women should be thin and elegant. I am not a fan of this system due to my own facial flaws, but I can’t really change it. Most of the court members fit this category, and therefore gain popularity. Senior Abigail Kiesling is aware of how what someone’s eye wants to see plays a part in who is or is not on court.

“I feel that people choose who they want to see wear the crown, not necessarily who deserves it.” Kiesling said. “It’s about who is most popular or who can put on the best show and that clearly reflects in the candidates being chosen.

I found that I can tell if someone is smart or not just by looking at them. The smarter people tend to be more well-received by their peers. Please note that it isn’t about intelligence, but more about how one lives up to their potential. It’s about motivation. Productive people are visibly more energetic than those who do not.

When you look at a group of friends after watching some weird dude sitting on the air vent doing his math homework, you see that the group has more positive energy than the studious one by his lonesome. From my past interactions with some of the court members, they are usually pretty friendly. This lets them make more friends, and grow a following as a result.

If you aren’t enjoying yourself that much at this school, my best advice is to join a club. Not only do you experience more, you also make more friends. Most court members are involved in a number of clubs, so they build up a reputation. Playing an active role in the school year is a great way to achieve popularity.

Remember that just because someone is well-liked, that doesn’t make them a good person. Many quiet people are kind, but they don’t get the chance to show it. Senior Mitchell Houston identifies this.

“I think that at first glance,” Houston said, “it seems fair because it is a democracy, well as far as we know. But I think that people usually on vote for people that they know or like and those that truly deserve to be on court or as king and queen don’t really get the opportunity to do so. I think that court should be based on someone’s character not on whether they are popular or not. Then there’s also the fact that people’s votes are so easily persuaded to vote for whoever their friend is voting for instead of voting for whoever they would like to. And finally I think that a lot of the less “popular” kids don’t even go out to vote simply because many might not see the point to it or they just don’t care or they believe that whoever they vote for won’t win so it won’t matter. If we address that, we might actually be able to see some diversity on the courts. A.k.a some more a little color.”

Social status plays a big part in self esteem and overall outlook on life. In a school setting, it’s easy to see who goes where on the pyramid. You may be a court member yourself, or you could be sitting alone right now. Whether you get on court or not, you are still a valid and living thing, as cheesy as that sounds.