How to dress properly for class presentations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Salem Sanfilippo Solindas, Editor

This is it: the big day. You’ve got a huge project to present to the class. Everything looks okay… until you realise you’re in sweat pants and a dirty t-shirt! Suddenly, you feel a lot less confident than before. How can you possibly fix this in time? Luckily, you’ve got Salem here to help. Here’s five handy tips on looking the best you can for the big day.

1. Make sure your clothes fit. As a debater who’s seen it all when it comes to presentation wear, I can assure you that nothing is worse than ill-fitting slacks or too-tight heels. There are guides scattered across the internet on how to tell if your clothes fit right, so be sure to consult those before you invest in nice clothes.
  2. Avoid clashing colors. The best way to do this is buy some staples, like navy and black, and look up guides on how to make them match. If you’re looking for a cheap way to get a surplus of clothes, definitely consult Goodwill. I couldn’t tell you how many sweater vests I’ve gotten from that amazing store.
  3. Carry a lint roller wherever you go. This one can feel a little unnecessary at times, but when your clothes look crisp, you’re sure to feel better. Look for a travel-sized lint roller to carry in your backpack.
  4. Wash your clothes! This one may seem obvious, but if you are enrolled in a class or club that requires dressing up often, you may feel tempted to wait until the second or third presentation in the same shirt before you throw it in the wash. As nice as it might be to put off laundry another day, formal clothes are a special breed. They need as much detergent-based-TLC as feasible (just make sure you’re not using harsh settings).
  5. Finally, hang it up. I have extremely limited closet space, so I understand wanting to fold your dress shirts and cardigans, but wrinkles look bad no matter the occasion. Use that valuable space to store your nicer things; your future self will be grateful!