Coffee with Larry: the sequel

Gillian Burks, EIC

Another Coffee with Larry has come and gone, and the Red & Black is here to give the Jefferson City High School body a recap of what they missed.

This meeting’s topic was Boundary Line discussion. With the location for the new high school set, boundary lines and completing designs is next on the to-do list. The new high school’s designs are to be completed around mid-February, and the construction on the currently existing high school is scheduled to begin April 16.

Larry Linthacum, the Jefferson City Public Schools’ superintendent, spoke about the different boundary line plans being discussed. The main goal in finding a boundary line for the new school is to maintain an equal poverty rate between the new and old high school. A committee was formed with representatives of the different middle schools that would be affected by a new high school, and this committee discussed propositions for the new boundary line. All of these propositions can be viewed online on the JCPS website, the page is listed in the quick links.

Ultimately, the decision will be decided by the school board, but Linthacum wanted it be clear that they are trying to involve the community and work towards a common goal of keeping equal poverty rates.

“We need to give students the same opportunities,” said Linthacum.

The next of these public meetings will take place the first Friday of March, in the Miller Performing Arts Center, from 7a.m. to 8a.m.