Christmas music: a holiday must

Ariana Pauley

This is the time of year where many people of different backgrounds and tastes come together to celebrate various events and holidays. Among this diverse group, there are two factions that oppose each other fiercely on one particular topic: Christmas music. How early is too early?

There are two extremes to this argument, as is the case with almost any debate. On one side stands the Christmas music lovers who are sitting next to their fully-decorated Christmas trees on Halloween just waiting for midnight to strike so they can begin caroling. On the other side stands the “Christmas Scrooges” who believe Christmas music should be reserved for Christmas Day and left at that.

What both sides of the argument need to realize is that these extremes make up a small fraction of each group and that there truly is room for compromise. Christmas music, like all holiday melodies, are meant to put people in a celebratory mood and remind them of the values represented by these times.

That being said, it is obvious that Christmas music seems to outshine other holidays like Thanksgiving. It is reasonable to say that Christmas music should be reserved until after Thanksgiving has had its time, but the reality is that it’s almost impossible due to the holiday shopping season.

The music you hear during commercials and while you walk through your local mall is there to get you into the buying spirit as much as the holiday spirit. This unavoidable tradition has to begin early seeing as many retailers open their doors with holiday deals on Thanksgiving day. Without the subliminal messaging leading up to the big payoff, the Black Friday turnout may suffer. Without saying whether or not that entire aspect of the retail holiday season is morally sound, it must be admitted that it makes good sense to achieve profit quotas.

On an individual level, some may find the Christmas music early-birds annoying, but most of the time they’re listening privately in their own homes or cars and not forcing the music on anyone else. No one should be shamed for their love of Christmas music, regardless of how early they begin listening to it. If it doesn’t affect you, then allow others to be happy.

As far as businesses are concerned, while it may be disorienting to walk into a store and hear “Jingle Bells” the day after Halloween, there are reasons that at least explain, if not justify, the actions.

The Christmas music debate will go on indefinitely, but I can say for certain that there are worse things that we could be listening to for two months than the catchy holiday tunes.