Skateboarding: Not the Evil It’s Made Out to Be.

Since its beginning in the early 1950’s, skateboarding has been looked down upon by older generations, not including the one who created it. This brought on an era of ‘no skateboarding’ signs and the most commonly used phrase known to skateboarders: ‘I’ll call the cops’. This prejudice is even faced at school, where anyone with a board is told to put it in the office or to not bring it at all. Students are faced with the possibility of facing a hefty fine or suspension just for skating on campus.

Imagine if your only means of transportation was a board. No bike, car, bus, or even a scooter. You could walk of course, but you choose to skate to school everyday, and by the time you get there your board is confiscated and you’re facing in-school suspension. This is because skating on campus is frowned upon by staff. Why? For fear of damaging property. This is the main reason for staff disapproval of skateboarding. Students believe faculty should take on a different perspective on the sport.

Because of biased views on skateboarders, many are looked down upon for certain aspects of the sport resulting in the miscommunication between staff and student. When a student is seen on a board on campus a list of complications can run through one’s head, especially if one is a teacher or principal. Yet these complications are no more than silly faults that can be controlled by the person on the skateboard. Who would hit the six stair near the trailers anyways? If you can only cruise on a board, like most students, what damage could be caused?

According to junior Hope Lewis, “I think we should be able to skate on campus bikes are allowed on campus. Skating is something that is stereotyped and discriminated against since it is not allowed. However, it is dangerous but that doesn’t matter because at this point skaters know whether or not to skate if there is a moving car or other dangers. We live in a generation where skating whenever and wherever should be acceptable.”

Another issue is the credibility of our own campus. JCHS was established in 1964, leaving many of our handrails and stairs cracked and crooked. Staff members fear the dismemberment of our campus’ rails, ledges, and stairs, but what more could a student do to break them? Boardslides, 50’s, and nose blunts aren’t going to cause anymore damage than there already is.