Head to Head: Happy Holidays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Head to Head: Happy Holidays

Salem Sanfilippo Solindas, Editor

There is nothing I hate more than having kaftans, latkes, and yule logs thrown in my face during the holiday season. I just can’t stand it when I see a Festivus pole in my neighbor’s yard. Oh, and those Hanukkah songs? Awful.

Okay, obviously, I don’t see any of that. Despite being raised in a Jewish-Pagan household and growing up with both Hanukkah and Yule, I spend every December listening to the same 12 songs and being told ‘Merry Christmas’ until my ears feel like they’re about to fall off.

As much as I’d love to see a menorah every once in awhile, I know that living in a mostly Christian community means that’s a lot to ask. That being said, I’m happy to settle with the occasional “Happy Holidays” thrown my way. While it’s not ideal, it sure beats my chosen holidays being swept under the rug.

Yes, I get the counter-argument. In a culture as massive as America, majority always rules. It’s why the electoral college elects our presidents and why Sega went bankrupt. Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Yule, and others will never dominate our Christmas-ruled society, that’s just a fact. But just because these holidays represent minorities doesn’t mean they deserve less attention. Yes, majority rules, but minority matters. We still have the Green Party and the 2017 saw two new Sonic games.

I think the biggest reason people are so unwilling to change is that it feels like a betrayal of their childhoods. Christmas is a huge part of America’s shared culture. It feels like an attack on happy memories, family time, and warmth. But it’s important to remember that our country is the great melting pot of culture, and recognizing smaller holidays is far from a declaration of war.

The point is, it’s not that hard to acknowledge the little guy every so often. Instead of seeing holiday equality as a threat to Christmas, see it as an invitation to celebrate everyone in this big, diverse, awesome country. The holidays are about coming together to appreciate family and friendship, and there’s nothing that reflects these ideals more than loving thy neighbor.