Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Review

Matt LeCure, Matt LeCure

I know it’s quite silly for a guy in his late teens to enjoy a game mostly marketed towards kids, but I should be used to public humiliation by now, right? Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were retellings of the original Sun and Moon games, along with some added features. Are they better than the originals? Let’s find out.

Pokémon Sun and Moon had some of the best characters in the series. However, there were some characters in the old games who felt incomplete. Villains had vague ambitions, and rivals were not as competitive. In Ultra, they changed that. Hau, the rival in the game, had a major upgrade from the last games. He started out casual, but in the end he was a strong foe. What happened at the end of the game regarding him surprised me. Lusamine, the villain, had a goal that wasn’t as vague as the last time. In Ultra, she wanted to save the world, but her way of doing so wasn’t the right way. Although these were great, I still think Lillie’s story from Sun and Moon is better. They left out a lot of scenes that were vital to her character development, most of which were romantic and heartfelt. At least she doesn’t completely break your heart at the end of the game this time.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon added a ton of new features Sun and Moon lacked. New minigames, more Pokémon available, new side quests, a nostalgic postgame, new music, and more. I feel bad for my elementary and middle school friends who grew out of Pokémon: they are missing out on how much the franchise has improved.

If you are a new or old fan of Pokémon, get this game. There are many things that appeal to both kinds of players. It’s easy enough for new players, but difficult enough for veterans. I played through it, and I’m still enjoying it.