Website restrictions; tragic or terrific?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Matt LeCure, Website Editor

Most of you are aware of the YouTube censorship thing. For a while, people believed that the site was going to be banned completely! Or that was just me?

From what I can tell, the students at Jefferson City High School aren’t too happy about this. In the words of an anonymous student, “I hate it. I absolutely hate it.” If this happened when I was a freshman, I wouldn’t be too happy either. As a freshman and sophomore, I was always watching YouTube or playing video games in class. It distracted me from working, and my grades showed that. As a junior and senior, I grew to break that habit. But that doesn’t mean that the others have. But some students like these restrictions, such as senior Devin Starkey.

“The restriction,” Starkey said, “It is currently too broad, but a good idea.”

I am just going to be honest with you. I accept these bannings on websites. You might be thinking that I am some monster that crawled up from the depths of Hell, but I am by no means trying to be evil. I just know from experience how not paying attention in class can be very heartbreaking.

When I was a sophomore, the schedule was a bit different. We would have five classes one day, and five other classes the next. You had ten classes at once, so it took a lot. And the fact that I kept playing around online made the year much worse. My grades were low, my head always hurt, I hated most of my teachers with a burning passion. Now, I realize that I would have enjoyed that year a bit more if I had just put down the iPad and payed attention in class.

No matter what you think, high school teaches you more than quadratic equations and the life-drainer that is the MLA format. It teaches you how to function as an adult. Personally, it taught me that there is a time for wants and a time for needs. If you let your wants get in the way of the needs, you will regret it in the future. When you see an opportunity, take it. I really wish that I would have learned this lesson when I was younger, but you can’t change the past. However, you can learn from it.

Believe me, I know how tempting it is to do something fun when you are bored to tears in your math class. But it is so important that you pay attention. I am on an electronic device at least 70% of the day because it is where I find my enjoyment. But I know that school is much more important. I know how messy school can be sometimes, but it shapes your future. This is why I am happy the school bans these sites. You may not like it, but this is to help you. I don’t want anyone to have to go through the suffering I had to go through.