Ending the year on a high note

Brett Myers makes a dramatic appearance as Star Wars character Darth Vader during the

Brett Myers makes a dramatic appearance as Star Wars character Darth Vader during the "Imperial MArch

Photo by: Devan Palmero

Photo by: Devan Palmero

Devan Palmero, Staff Reporter

The Jefferson City High School choir, band and orchestra performed on May 2nd – 4th for their end-of-year concerts. Choir performed pieces like “Loch Lomond,” “Ngana” and “Sing.” Orchestra covered “Back in Black,” “Victorious” and “Counting Stars.” Band made an impression with their performance of several Star Wars songs, including “The Imperial March” and the “Star Wars Theme” itself.

JC Choir sang on Tuesday, May 2nd, at the Miller Performing Arts Center. Awards were given out between songs and those who lettered were also announced. The concert closed with “Sing” by Pentatonix and a thank you and farewell to the seniors.

“This concert pushed the students to next level in Vocal Music showing them what they are capable of and where they will go in the future,” Choir adviser Jarrod Hendricks said.

On Wednesday (May 3), the Lewis and Clark and Thomas Jefferson Middle School orchestras participated in the events alongside the JCHS students, dressed in face paint parodying the rock band KISS to match their Rock and Roll music selection.

The JCHS Symphonic Orchestra played “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson, a challenging piece for even the advanced musicians.

JCHS’ Band filled up the main hall on Thursday at the Capitol building alongside the TJ and LC middle school bands. A few pieces were performed as a warm-up to the main event, including “Nevermore” and “Americans We.” The JC Symphonic band was challenged with playing the professional versions (those heard in the films) of the Star Wars soundtrack, celebrating Star Wars Day (May the Fourth).
Sparks flew as the air lit up with glowsticks and Lightsabers and Brett Myers, the Band teacher at JCHS, had a very special surprise for the students and audience when he appeared as Darth Vader during the band’s reenactment of “The Imperial March”.

link to video: https://youtu.be/bpj6ZXvUzUY