Second high school: coming soon

Here are the sketches of the renovated JCHS building that is expected to be built by 2020.

Photo by: Devan Palmero

Photo by: Devan Palmero

Devan Palmero, staff reporter

On April 4, Jefferson City residents were asked to approve a tax increase to pay for construction of a new high school and renovations at the current Jefferson City High School.   

The tax was broken up into two issues, both of which passed. Proposition J was approved with 62 percent of the vote, while prop C received 60 percent support.  

After plans were announced at a board meeting in December, motions towards building a new high school near St. Mary’s Hospital off highway 179 began. When first proposed, responses were incredibly positive, and the board unanimously decided to have it voted upon by the public. With a minor tax increase of about $1.10, costs for the construction of a new Jefferson City High School, renovations to the current school, and an updated curriculum for the K-12 system would be covered. This tax increase will cost the average household about $26 every month. The new taxes will raise a total of $116,441,000 after four years.

Sketches have now been released outlining major renovations of the current building, such as joining the JCHS and the Nichols Career Center. Within this bridge will be a lounging area for students to study in a more open environment. Plans also call for the reconstruction of many classrooms, renovations for the MEP (mechanical, electrical and plumbing), and several projects for opening up classrooms and creating more adaptable environments for dynamic learning.

“Not one floor, wall or ceiling  will not be touched in this building [JCHS],” Principal Robert James said. James has been working in tandem with the school board to be sure that the current high school will be improved significantly.

“Some of the things that we’re looking at are creative and flexible spaces for students and classes,” James said, referring to some early plans which would incorporate the dead space in one first-floor hallway into an open area with carpet floors and soft seating, much like the current library.

Textbooks are another major problem at JCHS, seeing as some 40 percent of classes are using textbooks published a decade ago. The new funds would not only provide an update to the textbooks, but give more options with the curriculum. According to Shanna Schwarzer, the assistant principal and head of the technology department, the freshman class of 2017-18 will be given ChromeBooks instead of iPads. This may improve productivity in terms of having access to more professional software and being more versatile than the outdated iPads.Textbooks are another major problem at JCHS, seeing as some 40 percent of classes are using textbooks published a decade ago. The new funds would not only provide an update to the textbooks, but give more options with the curriculum. According to Shanna Schwarzer, the assistant principal and head of the technology department, the freshman class of 2017-18 will be given ChromeBooks instead of iPads. This may improve productivity in terms of having access to more professional software and being more versatile than the outdated iPads.

The timeline for the project outlines a typical construction schedule as well as the “finishing touches” which will be added once the school is populated. The new school could be finished by August, 2020, meaning students who are currently in 6th grade at Thomas Jefferson Middle School could expect to be in the first class in the new building. However, the current building’s renovations may take up to five years due to the fact that nine months out of the year, the school will be filled with students and faculty.

sketches of the renovated JCHS building, aprox. 2020

2017.02.27_Design Update

alternative link if above pdf does not open: https://www.jcschools.us/Page/15368