FCA Worships god at JCHS

Jefferson City High School and Helias High School meet at Break Time to celebrate National Life Runners Day.

Photo by: Sidney Johnson

Photo by: Sidney Johnson

Sidney Johnson, Reporter

Jefferson City High School is one of the largest high schools in Missouri, filled with an outstanding number of over 2,000 students (including Simonsen 9th grade center.) Interests can vary with such a large group of kids, which is why there are over thirty clubs available at JCHS. However, even with all these options, there is only one religious group at JCHS.

“God First. Life Always. Teammates Forever!” This is the slogan for the organization called Fellowship of Christian Athletes. This is a Christian group that meets once a week to speak out about their love of god. Some may have a misunderstanding about the athlete part of the title and worry that they may not be welcomed if they are not involved in athletics. Patrick Castle, the FCA adviser and JCHS chemistry teacher, speaks very passionately on this matter.

“Heaven is a team sport,” Castle said. “Everyone is qualified and welcomed.”

FCA meets in room 121 on Wednesday mornings.The current advisers of FCA are Castle, Nathan Redcay and Andrew Neuenswander. FCA has around fifty members and is growing weekly. With this being the only religious group at JCHS, advisers and members make great effort to reach out to as many people as they can. Alexa DeSha was recently named the next president of FCA. DeSha is very excited for the position and is proud to be involved in something that supports her faith.

During each meeting of FCA, there are always three things the group tries to accomplish. Every meeting usually starts off with a gospel song and dance. Prior to each meeting there is a volunteer who has the job of picking a verse that relates to an experience they have had, and a challenge of how you can use this verse to positively impact your life. This volunteer usually speaks in front of the group toward the middle of the meeting. At the end of every meeting the group joins knuckles in circle of prayer. The club is valued so delicately by those involved. Current FCA President Jake Nowack takes pride in his position. He has been a member since his sophomore year. Nowak has always highly valued his relationship with god, which is why he was very excited about his involvement in FCA.

“FCA is a place where we can grow in our faith and have fellowship together as Christ followers in public schools, as we spread the love of Jesus,” Nowack said.
FCA also has many members involved in the Life Runners organizations. This organization’s intent is to run and pray together until crossing the finish line to end abortion. This organization has 5,300 runners and walkers, available in all 50 states and 29 nations. Castle also leads the JCHS chapter of this organization.