Jays Tennis Hopes to Serve Up Wins

During practice, senior Adam Walker makes an
overhand shot.

Photo by: Veronica Townsend

During practice, senior Adam Walker makes an overhand shot.

Emily Rush, Staff

The boys tennis season for Jefferson City High School is in the springtime, but athletes begin their training long before the actual season starts. The team does off-season training together. The boys meet at the YMCA at 6 a.m. to play tennis before school. Having training before the season starts is a great way for the team to bond and get to know everyone.

Seniors Jarrod Henry and Joshua Sabala have been playing for a total of three years each. They both started playing their freshman year and stuck with it all through high school.

“I enjoy playing tennis for JCHS because I am super good friends with most of the team,” Henry said. “It’s just a close knit community.”

Sabala agrees with Henry that playing with his friends is one of the reasons he enjoys tennis at JC.

“I love that it is a really fun and chill sport to play with my friends,” Sabala said.

In most sporting events, there is some type of competition or a rivalry that the team looks forward to playing every year. The boys tennis team also has multiple away matches this season along with all the home matches. Some of the teams they will face on the road are Waynesville, Marshall, Springfield, Bethel Park, Ladue, Hickman, Edwardsville, and Rockbridge during their season.

“I am really looking forward to going to our away tournaments and taking the W against Helias later in the season,” Sabala said.

Henry also says that one of the things he is really looking forward to the most for the upcoming season is beating Hickman and Helias.

The first match for the varsity team was on March 27 and the last scheduled match is set for May 6, which is a home match. Even though that is the last match listed on the schedule, the JCHS team could end up at districts and there could potentially be more matches.

The JCHS boys tennis team practices very hard to prepare for all of their matches, and the team would love to see some school spirit at their matches this year.

Tennis 2

Photo by: Veronica Townsend
Senior Josh Jay jumps into a serve.

Tennis 3

Photo by: Veronica Townsend
Senior Joey Mendez practices a simple
underhand shot.