Girls soccer kicks off their season

Sophomore+Greta+Haarmann+puts+the+ball+back+into+play+at+the+Lady+Jays+soccer+jamboree+on+Tuesday%2C+March+16.+
Sophomore Greta Haarmann puts the ball back into play at the Lady Jays soccer jamboree on Tuesday, March 16.

Photo by: Photo submitted by: Karri Gourley

Kelsie Backues, Staff Reporter

As the new spring season brings sunshine and unfortunately rain, the Jefferson City Lady Jays Soccer team are gearing up for their new season. Despite all the bad weather, the Lady Jays are starting the season hot, coming off a 7-0 win against Osage High School on Monday, March 21.

Sophomore Maddie Jones has recently joined the Lady Jays, as this is her first year on the team.

To get ready [for the season] we’ve been practicing every day and some Saturdays,” Jones said.

Head Coach Thomas Guinn also expressed his high hopes for the new season. He says the goals range from things as simple as winning a certain number of games to as complex as having a certain number of shoutouts.

“At the beginning of our season, every team member creates both individual and team goals,” Guinn said, “So as a coaching staff, our hope is that is that as many players as possible meet or exceed their expectations as it relates to the goal setting process.”

Each team faces challenges, and each team handles them differently. Guinn is optimistic that his team will be able to overcome whatever they may face. For example, Missouri weather never seems to cooperate, but this isn’t anything new for the team

“A lot of times in the spring season the biggest challenges come from factors that are out of our control. The weather is unpredictable, which many times causes changes to the game schedule, or worse, we can’t get practice time in,” Guinn said,

“The spring season also doesn’t end until the middle of May, with the potential of extending into the second week of June. It can be difficult to hold the attention of athletes during your season while they have already been dismissed for summer break.”

Jones agrees with Guinn that weather caused commotion for the season. Jones says that the bad weather has caused for several game cancellations for the Lady Jays.

“So far this season, the weather has been our biggest problem. We have to find gym space on rainy practice days, which are to help us get ready for games,” Jones said

With the beginning of the season just barely started, both players and coaching staff have a positive outlook for the continuation of the season.