Non-traditional English classes in JCHS

Another+non-traditional+English+class+is+21st+Century+Communications.+The+class+is+learning+grammar.+The+class+teaches+students+about+how+to+effectively+communicate+in+society+and+in+the+workplace%2C+and+to+use+technology+in+the+21st+century.+++
Another non-traditional English class is 21st Century Communications. The class is learning grammar. The class teaches students about how to effectively communicate in society and in the workplace, and to use technology in the 21st century.

Photo by: Megan Cassels

Photo by: Megan Cassels

Megan Cassels, Staff Reporter

In the recent school year, Jefferson City High School has offered a wide variety of English classes. Ranging from mystery and suspense and horror all the way to young adult literature. These classes have a very different direction of teaching versus the common English class.

Creative writing is a class where students practice writing and reading poetry, writing science fiction stories, students also read and analyze and the class also reads specific pieces from a variety of authors. Students who took this class enjoyed the many varieties this class had to offer.

“Creative writing was interesting, it taught me new things I never knew about, like writing poems and Sci Fi stories and stuff. It was a lot of fun,” former creative writing student Emily Hoffman said.

Mystery and suspense and horror is a class about these specific genres. Some typical genres the class has studied are Frankenstein, Dracula, Jekyll, and Hyde. In this class, students find and analyze the archetypes of each genre, they also study these genres and see how they affect our modern society. Not only has this class had an impact on the students, it also has made an impact on English teacher, Tucker Snider.

“I learn something new all the time,” Snider said. “I regularly read new things to prepare for classes and students generally to have recommendations that I can use.”

Snider talks about how the class is also out of the ordinary when approaching finals.

“The class leads itself into experimentation. Finals can take the form of projects, for example,” Snider said. “For our finals this last time, I set up approximately 40 items around the room [such as] printed images, beakers full of bubbling foam, masks, etc. and students had to say what archetype, story, or novel each item represented and explained what was important about it. That was kind of cool.”

Another new class JCHS has to offer is children’s and young adult literature. The class is set for student, who would love to understand of psychology and education of the younger generation. The class reads children’s books, collaborates with each other and analyzes the stories they read. The class starts out with children’s books and progresses onto higher reading levels.

“The class is teaching me to branch from growing up and taking it back to being young, it helps us look back at what we learn from the kids books from when we were younger,” senior Jacob Surface said. “We also get to look at the jump from starting out in picture books in elementary school, to big fat high school books, it’s pretty cool.”
From all of the new classes, students may learn the curriculum, but they also learn more about things beyond the lessons. They learn why things are the way they are, they might learn unintended psychological lessons or even apply their peer’s writing to their own.