Jeff City High School’s only female wrestler

Emily Rush, Reporter

Photo by: Emily Rush
Jefferson City Wrestling logo

There was a total of 36 wrestlers on the team for the season. Only one of the wrestlers is a girl, Cameron Brunette. Brunette is a freshman at Simonsen Ninth Grade Center. Being younger than most people and being the only girl on the team may sound very intimidating, but Brunette would beg to differ

“Being the female wrestler is no different than being one of the guys, I like being treated the same as everyone else,” Brunette said. “It is not harder to coach a girl over a boy. When they come in the room we tell them that gender goes out the door, it doesn’t matter boy or girl, they are all wrestlers,” head coach Phil Cagle said.

Treating all of the players in the program equally is a very important feature to being a coach. Jefferson City High School’s athletics have a wide variety of diversity in the program. It is important to not classify sports to only certain genders and leave the option up to the kids of what sport they would like to play.

Cagle also mentioned that it is not the first time they have seen a girl join the program.

“It is becoming more prevalent throughout the program.”

Brunette enjoys being on the wrestling team, even though she is the only girl, that is something that isn’t important to her.

“I love being on the wrestling team because I love the challenge,” Brunette said.

Brunette has been wrestling since 7th grade and plans to continue wrestling throughout high school.

“My favorite part about wrestling is winning because when you get your hand raised it is a great feeling,” Brunette said.