Wrestling Team Takes on Districts and State

Districts champions excited on their victory.

Photo by: Christian Mayberry (submission)

Sidney Johnson, Staff Reporter

The Jefferson City High School Wrestling Team had a team record for this season of 8-1 when going into districts. Every varsity wrestler moved on to districts. The JCHS district competitors included Garrett Butel, Sam Martin, Will Kuster, Charlie Kusick, Sam Rackers, Peter Kuster, Christian Mayberry, Reece Neighbors, Dennis Barnes, Tyler Bise, Ian Cote, Tom McCarthy, Brandon Backues, and Davonta Finney. On Feb. 10, the wrestling team traveled to Lee’s Summit, Missouri to compete at districts. Coaches Phil Cagle, David Ganney, Nathan Redcay, and Tod Wilson all headed down with the ten wrestlers.

Jefferson City High School is in Class Four. When wrestling is out of regular season and moves into districts and state. At districts and state, the meet is not a team competition, but an individual. In Class Four, four districts compete. Each wrestler has around four matches in their own weight class. There are a total of fourteen weight classes. During districts each weight class is competing and the top four wrestlers in the bracket of each weight class move on to state. Sophomore Sam Martin was nervous when going into districts, as he knew the pressure was on and he had to bring his all or he was going home.

“It is scary knowing that if you don’t make top four, your wrestling season is over, but you just have to bring your best,” Martin said.

For Martin, he did bring his best and moved on with nine other JCHS wrestlers. Those who qualified to move on to state competed in the Mizzou Arena on Feb. 16, 17, and 18. Junior Peter Kuster, who has qualified for state all three years, was proud to return, but kept his goal in mind.

“I had accomplished something, but I still wasn’t done and I had a higher goal,” Kuster said.

State is different than districts. At state, the wrestlers weigh in. Eight mats are set up on the main floor. They warm up with members from their school and then are separated into weight classes. Shortly after that, the matches began. At state, fewer people are in each weight class, so per weight class there are usually two-three matches.

Overall, three athletes placed in the top six and medaled. These students were Peter Kuster, who placed 2nd, Charlie Kusick, who placed 5th, and Sam Rackers, who placed 6th. Some who did not place at state felt down, but were proud for their teammates who did. Junior Tyler Bise was a state qualifier that did not end up placing at state. He was thankful for the experience.

“As a team we gave it our everything and ended up doing amazing,” Bise said. “We left nothing behind and that’s all I can ask for.”