The Red and Black Editorial: Clubs struggle for a buck

Activities Director Mark Caballero said money is distributed to clubs in three different ways: supplies, transportation and miscellaneous.

Photo by: Red Black

Red Black, Staff Reporter

More often than not, club advisers are forced to tell their students, “Great idea, but we don’t have the funds for that.” The idea either disappears or members brainstorm ways to increase funding.

Since the activities department has a limited budget, clubs are reluctant to ask for more funding; therefore, they choose the option of fundraising. According to Activities Director Mark Caballero, clubs sell everything from pencils to t-shirts.

“Most people raise funds when they need funds,” Caballero said. “If they do not have a need to do a fundraiser, they wouldn’t do it.”

From my experience, club funding can be difficult. Not every member in a club will be comfortable with fundraising. When clubs receive funding, they are expected to deliver. Not delivering could cost a club a lot of money. On the other hand, successfully delivering can greatly increase funding.  

For example, Student Council has proven they are able to deliver. They are an awesome role-model for funding. According to Josh Jay, the treasurer of StuCo, most of the funds come from school events including Homecoming and Winter Sports.

“I’m glad StuCo has the funding it does,” Jay said. “Over the past year, we’ve donated nearly $9,000 to charities.”

Sadly, not all clubs are as successful with funding as StuCo, but cost should not scare people from forming new clubs because there are always avenues to help out. Likewise, Jackie Johnson, the sponsor for Future Health Leaders (HOSA), is thankful for Principal Bob James’ help with providing coverage on transportation cost along with other expenses. HOSA is a new medical club at JCHS where students compete in different medical competitions.

“I was not completely aware how expensive HOSA was going to be,” Johnson said. “I wish I’d known that up front, so that we could start fundraising even before the club began. Once we get started we will always have funding for the next year.”

Conversely, Tabletop Gaming, which Johnson is also a semi-sponsor of, does not require much funding. Johnson says the club only requires a room, and the students supply the gaming. Similarly, according to Bri Bechtel, the treasurer of National Honor Society, students pay induction and yearly fees.

“The dues go to cover the cost of initiation and senior dues are more to cover the cost of cords for graduation,” Bechtel said.

Although it is great that some clubs do not require funding, fundraising is a necessity for many clubs. According to Stephanie Grant, the treasurer of Future Business Leaders of America, food is a great choice because everyone likes food. This year, FBLA received funding through annual dues, a Culver’s night, a popcorn fundraiser and more.

“I like the amount of fundraising we do because I have to pay less out of pocket,” Grant said. All in all, clubs should not let funding stop them from pursuing their goals. If members want a club to succeed, they will do whatever it takes to keep it running. The most important part of a club is not funding but having fun.