Modot finishes bridge construction

Modot finished the bridge about a month off of schedule. Construction for the other bridge will start in 2017. (photo by Sidney Johnson)

Sidney Johnson and Emily Rush

Construction work on the Missouri River Bridge began on May 1, 2016. The estimated time that they were supposed to be done with the bridge was four months. Modot finished the construction on Nov. 14th, 2016. Their time frame was about a month off of schedule – not to mention that only half of the construction is done because they only repaired one bridge. Sooner or later, they will begin construction on the second bridge and supposably finish in the summer of 2017.

Many inconveniences resulted from one of the bridges being closed due to construction.

“Trying to avoid traffic in the mornings was the biggest inconvenience of the bridge being shut down,” junior Jordyn Fear said. “I had to leave the house way earlier than normal to make sure I was on time to school.”

Traffic going across the bridge easily got backed up during busy hours, such as when everyone is on their way to work or school in the mornings and when people are on their way homes. While the bridge was under construction, the bridge that was open had a total of four lanes, two of the lanes leading to Holts Summit and two lanes coming into Jefferson City. This set-up affected traffic a lot compared to when both bridges were open and each bridge had three lanes.

“The biggest inconvenience of the bridge construction was definitely sitting in traffic forever and having to leave at a much earlier time to try and beat the traffic,” junior Braylyn Reynolds said.

When the bridge was officially opened On Nov. 14, feelings of relief spread across Jefferson City and Holts Summit. Most people that live in Holts Summit that work or go to school in Jefferson City were very pleased with this achievement. Traffic has improved significantly.

Junior Carson Berendzen also lives in Holts Summit, but works and goes to school in Jefferson City. Berendzen’s schedule changed when construction began on the bridge.

“I would have to leave for school about twenty minutes earlier to get to both school and work,” Berendzen said. “It felt amazing when the bridge opened; I could actually sleep in.”

Even though it seems the construction struck an inconvenience on many people, it is something that had to be done. When construction starts on the other bridge, people will know exactly what to expect.