How Red and Black is made?

Matt LeCure, Staff Reporter

Photo by: Matt LeCure

Room 141 serves as the classroom where students work on the Red and Black publication.

The Red and Black newspaper is something special. It is a monthly reminder of what normal Jefferson City High School students can create. It helps give the inside scope to students, who are thirsty for information about school and community events.

This news production class is the student-made newspaper for JCHS where an issue is printed every month. The newspaper is filled with school news and city news; occasionally with little activities for our readers.

The newspaper is separated into seven sections: Spotlight, In-Depth, Sports, Features, Opinions, Arts and Entertainment, and News. Spotlight consists of photographs taken of something big that recently occurred, such as Homecoming. In-Depth is usually serious and the largest article about a something that majorly impacts the school. The Sports section covers school and national athletic events such as the Olympics or JCHS football game update. Features gives the reader an insight on certain aspects of the school. Opinion stories give the writer’s insight on a certain subject. Arts and Entertainment displays guides, tips, creations, and provides entertainment for the reader. The News section provides information on the latest occurrences in our area that causes controversy, concern, or huge change.

The majority of the staff of the paper are reporters, who have the most time to work on writing, photography, and

Gillian Burks

Matt LeCure
To ensure staff reporters have pages to edit, junior and Futures editor, Gillian Burks puts the finishing touches to Futures section’s pages.

interviewing. The section editors prepare their specific section for printing. The Editor-in-Chief, Madi Baughman, is in charge of preparing the entire issue for completion.

There are seven editors of the paper: Baughman, Features editor Gillian Burks, News editor Abbi Gierer, Opinion editor Kaylee Klosterman, Arts and Entertainment editor Mak Baldwin, Sports editor Brooklynne Propes, and Website editor Veronica Townsend.

“A lot of pressure and a lot of time spent,” Features editor Gillian Burks said. “ It’s also nice because you feel like a boss.”

Red and Black is an ad-dependent paper. The members are assigned to go out and persuade companies to buy an advertisement for the newspaper. Even if a company chooses not to have an advertisement, they can buy a sponsorship and financially support the newspaper. If a family member would like to keep up with the news, they can subscribe to Red and Black to get the paper mailed to them each month. For more information on this, view here.

For each issue, we pitch our stories. In other words, we call out story ideas that would make up the paper, and assign the stories the staff sees newsworthy. The minimum of stories one can be assigned is two, and the process usually takes about two days.

Once stories are done, the section editor edits the story. The editor will suggest to the writer changes and edits. Once the story is acceptable to the section editor, it is sent to the Editor-in-Chief. She will edit the copy that goes into the paper.

Overall view of room 141

Matt LeCure
Reporters and editors work on editing the pages while having fun at the same time.

To ensure the paper is ready to print, we have an editing night from 3:00 pm to almost 8:00 pm. We are only allowed to miss two nights. It is a great way for staff members to communicate and help out each other.

“The best part about being the Editor-in-Chief is knowing partially I am trusted enough to have this responsibility and being able to help everyone with it,” Baughman said. “We have a lot of newbies this year, so I haven’t gotten to know them as well, but I love everyone on staff and will do my best for them.”

When the paper has been printed, we start the distribution process. It starts with “Manual Labor Monday,” which is just when we carry all the copies from adviser Tim Maylander’s car back to the room. Then, in FAST, we each distribute to a minimum of three classes. Finally, we distribute to businesses and the community.

“Just be dedicated,” staff reporter Devan Palmero said. “If you don’t want to be in this class, if you don’t feel like you’ve got what it takes, you’re not going to produce on par content. It’s just you’re not going to do the best you can if you don’t want to.”